Sun Lab @
University of South Florida
Xingmin Sun profile:
University of South Florida:
Department of Molecular Medicine:
The Sun Lab focuses on the pathogenesis of Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) and development of novel preventive and therapeutic agents against CDI. We use multidisciplinary approaches in our research, including molecular biology/microbiology, cell biology, protein engineering, immunology, genome sequencing, flow cytometry, and nano-particle delivery.
Background: Major Clostridium difficile virulence factors are the exotoxins TcdA and TcdB. Due to the large size and poor stability of the proteins, the active recombinant TcdA and TcdB have been difficult to produce. [...]
1) The roles of innate immunity and intestinal microbiome in the pathogenesis of CDI.
2) Signaling pathways of pro-inflammatory mediators and CDI
3) Development of novel therapeutic/preventive agent against C. difficile.
4) Regulation of C. difficile toxin production
5) Antibiotics resistance, epidemiology, and whole-genome sequencing of C. difficile.
This review considers the mechanisms of TcdA- and TcdB-induced enterotoxicity, and recent developments in this field.